Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Different Look at "To Kill a Mockingbird"


Stephanie Connor, an English III teacher at Bryan High School had her students create short animation projects in which they summarized a scene from "To Kill a Mockingbird" using either Voki, Go Animate or Xtranormal. See the short animation that Jacob Huckabay, a student in Mrs. Connor's 5th period class, created using Voki & his own voice to summarize a scene from Chapter 5 in the book.

Stephanie created a Google site for her classes to post the links to their finished projects. If you have questions for Stephanie, reply to this post. She is always willing to share her ideas and enthusiasm for creating technology infused lessons. I'm sure you will hear back from her. :)

6 comments:

  1. Fun! Creative, and much quicker than a traditional student-acted movie. What type of rubric do you use in acessing these? I have had fun with xtranormal and will offer this as a choice next time.
    Allison Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually never heard of Voki, is it easier to use than Xtranormal? Also I would also like to see the rubric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for sharing. I am trying to figure a way to implement something like this in my art class. Any ideas? How do the kids respond when showing them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since this was our first attempt at animation, I was lenient on the grading. The things I did look for included a true summary of the story (not just copying of words and retelling events) and using specific details from the book (such as character appearance, gestures, personality traits, and setting appearance). Voki was good for showing the personality and appearance for one character whereas xtranormal was better for showing the characters' dialogue. GoAnimate surprised me because there is such a great variety of animations available to recreate the scenes of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids really liked watching the animations in class. All three of these animation tools are easy to use. We spent one day writing the script, two days creating the animation, and one day to watch the final products. I do have a handout with the instructions for creating accounts and other requirements. Let me know if you want a copy, and I'll forward it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Cool, Stephanie! I need you to teach me how to do these things. There's so much that can be done, we just all need time and the tools to implement them. I don't think the old computers in my room can do this. I hope we all get the chance to try these tools.

    ReplyDelete