Biography of a President
In this activity you will use Popplet Lite to brainstorm and plan the elements of your presidential biography. You will then create a short digital presentation in StoryKit about your president.
Apps: StoryKit & Popplet Lite
Step 1: Pick a president that you would like to learn more about.
Step 2: Open the Safari app and use online resources to research your chosen president.
You will need to find at least:
3 interesting facts
1 quote by the president
2-3 relevant pictures (save these to your photo library by pressing and holding your finger on the photo)
Step 3: To organize your research, build a web in Popplet Lite with the facts and quotes that you find.
Step 4: Once you have finished your research and developed your web in Popplet, open the StoryKit app to begin creating your presentation.
Page 1: Title Page
Page 2: Interesting Facts
Page 3: Picture of the president with a voice recording of the quote
Step 5: When finished creating your story, share your story by emailing it to your instructor (email@example.com).
Objectives: (Could substitute for any grade level)
(14) Writing/Writing Process. Students use elements of the writing process (planning, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing) to compose text. Students are expected to:
- (A) plan a first draft by selecting a genre appropriate for conveying the intended meaning to an audience, determining appropriate topics through a range of strategies (e.g., discussion, background reading, personal interests, interviews), and developing a thesis or controlling idea;
- (A) draws conclusions and summarizes or paraphrases the findings in a systematic way;
- (B) marshals evidence to explain the topic and gives relevant reasons for conclusions;
- (C) presents the findings in a meaningful format; and
- (D) follows accepted formats for integrating quotations and citations into the written text to maintain a flow of ideas.
(A) write an imaginative story that:
- (i) sustains reader interest;
- (ii) includes well-paced action and an engaging story line;
- (iii) creates a specific, believable setting through the use of sensory details;
- (iv) develops interesting characters; and
- (v) uses a range of literary strategies and devices to enhance the style and tone; and