If you are already using QR codes creatively to engage your students you will love Aurasma. Aurasma is an augmented reality app that allows you to bring images, objects and physical locations to life with videos and animations, called an Aura. Auras can be shared with others and Aurasma includes a library of public auras to choose from.
Start by downloading the application and creating an account. Once you have created your account, point your device at the trigger picture of the red-bellied newt to see an example aura below.
This lesson introduction video was created using Tellagami.
Creating an Aura is a simple three step process.
- Select and name an overlay, this will be the actual media that shows/plays when you point your device to the trigger image. All media can be selected from your device library or the Aurasma library.
- Capture your trigger image. Make sure the bar at the bottom goes green before you take your picture.
- Name your aura and decide to make it private, public or publish to a your own channel.
Classroom Integration Ideas:
- Create a scavenger hunt or learning walk for students to discover a new topic.
- Introduce an author or historical figure.
- Use a short video series to review a difficult concept.